It’s common knowledge that the holidays are generally a happy time. “The most wonderful time of the year,” they say. But sometimes it can be a very painful, hard time for people.
I just wanted to give a quick reminder that even though this season can be painful for many of us, Christmas is the time that Jesus came to redeem our sufferings. But I think Elisabeth Elliot said it better than I can. Here are some of my favorite quotes by Elisabeth Elliot:
- God is God. Because He is God, He is worthy of my trust and obedience. I will find rest nowhere but in His holy will, a will that is unspeakably beyond my largest notions of what He is up to.
- This hard place in which you perhaps find yourself is the very place in which God is giving you opportunity to look only to Him, to spend time in prayer, and to learn long-suffering, gentleness, meekness – in short, to learn the depths of the love that Christ Himself has poured out on all of us.
In addition, I have collected several articles that bring some hope for the holiday season, including one from my blog which I published last year. I hope you find some of these encouraging.
- Life and Death at Christmas (by John Piper)
- Living Strong When Christmas is Hard and Discouraging (by GirlDefined)
- Christmas: The Dawn of Death’s Destruction (by Jon Bloom)
- What Grieving People Wish You Knew at Christmas (by Nancy Guthrie)
- To Those Hurting This Christmas (by John Knight)
- God with Us (by me 🙂 )
So I hope something here has been an encouragement to you this Christmas season, however you’re hurting. And if you know someone who is hurting, please consider sharing this post with them, or one of the articles or quotes.
Until next time… 🙂