My Tonsillectomy Story

A few weeks ago, I wrote this post about how I was told I needed a tonsillectomy (which, in case you don’t know, just means getting my tonsils out 🙂 ). I would encourage you to go back and read that post if you haven’t already, but if not, I’ll summarize it quickly. Within about a month, I had two peritonsillar abscesses… and, long story short, was told that I need to have my tonsils out.

So… I did, early on Tuesday morning.

But, if you’ll forgive me, I’m going to go in detail here. Because detail is fun. 🙂

They told us what time I would have my surgery on Monday afternoon. My mother, especially, was shocked at the time we had to be at the surgery center: 6:30 in the morning! The actual surgery was at 7:30… but there was a lot of prep-work to do beforehand.

We arrived at the surgery center at 6:30, and, after getting checked in, were ushered back into a little room, where I was told to put on my hospital gown. (By the way: The hospital gown is one of the parts I was dreading the most…) But anyway, after that the nurse gave me an IV, and, after about four nurses, one doctor, and one anesthesiologist had come in and talked to me, often asking the same questions, it was time to go into the operating room.

At this point my nerves were starting to get the best of me. I hadn’t been super nervous at all until the nurse walked me some ten feet down the hall from the room where my mom was.

The nurse who walked me over was so sweet, though. “Where do you go to school?” she asked.

I tried my hardest to answer her… I think I even said, “I’m home schooled,” but it came out so faintly and broken, because I was trying so hard not to just break down weeping.

The nurse smiled at me and put her arm around me as we neared the room. “It’s okay, sweetie,” she said. “We’re gonna take good care of you.”

And then I was in the operating room, which was a lot bigger and whiter and brighter than I had anticipated. The nurse helped me onto the operating table, and the anesthesiologist gave me a mask with oxygen. At this point, I was very, very alert, and thinking how weird it was going to be to be completely aware one minute, and totally unaware the next minute.

To get my mind off what was going on, I followed the advice my nana gave me: Look for a cross. She has had so many surgeries, and she says she can always find a cross somewhere in that operating room. At first I thought it wasn’t going to help, and that it was going to be super easy. But it turned out a little harder than at first, but once I did find one (in the ceiling tiles and lights), and it was a really good reminder, just to look up at that cross that was above me as I laid there. It was probably much less than two minutes, but it felt like a long time.

‘Take three more big breathes,” the anesthesiologist said. I took five. And the next thing I knew, I was waking up from a very, very deep sleep in another room.

To be honest, I don’t remember many details from when I just woke up. I do remember that I was frustrated that I was half-awake and half-asleep… I just wanted to either fall back asleep or wake up. And I vaguely remember the nurses saying they were going to get me a popsicle. Then the nurse turned around and asked, “Does it matter what color?” I shook my head.

She came back with a purple popsicle, which I somehow remember eating in three bites. And then my mom came back.

After that, the nurses brought me a little cup full of ice water and a container of applesauce. For the record, I do not like applesauce, but they wanted me to eat it, because it would not be good to take the medicine they gave me on an empty stomach.

After they got me all ready to leave, a nurse wheeled me out to the car. My mom and I drove to Costco, where she got me two giant swirl soft-serves (I ate both, thank you very much 🙂 ). That helped an awful lot…

And then we went home. I’ll include some details in another post, but for now, I will just say that I could think of a hundred ways God was good to me (and still is being good to me right now!). I thank Him for giving me such a successful surgery, and for giving me such an unexplainable, out-of-nowhere peace. Definitely a God-thing. 🙂

Stay tuned for my next post, where I unpack a bunch of things you need to know before you get your tonsils out… 🙂


3 thoughts on “My Tonsillectomy Story”

  1. I love this post. Your whole story is a God-driven one! It’s so inspirational. I love your most recent post, as well – I learned some things from it! And the thing about the teeth … that made me laugh. 😉

    Hope you get better soon!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s